Books For Africa’s Commitment to the Protection of Personal Information
At Books For Africa, we attach a very high value to the privacy of our donors. Accordingly, Books For Africa does not sell or share donor information with other non-profit or for-profit organizations.
The Personal Information that Books For Africa Collects and Maintains about Donors
The information we collect about a donor or prospective donor that may, alone or in combination, constitute personal information includes name, home contact information, programs or projects an individual wishes to support, and future communication preferences. The personal information that we maintain about a donor or prospective donor includes the amounts and manner in which he or she has contributed or promised to contribute to Books For Africa.
The Purposes for which Books For Africa Collects Personal Information about Donors and the Sources of that Information
We collect personal information about donors and prospective donors for the following purposes:
- Conducting and facilitating fundraising,
- Managing our relationship with donors, and
- Meeting any legal or regulatory requirements relating to activities of Books For Africa.
Any such personal information, collected for these purposes, will be collected from the individual to whom it relates or from a publicly available source of information.
The Disclosure of Personal Information about Donors by Books For Africa
We will not disclose any personal information other than donor name for annual report listing. Any person requesting anonymity is listed as anonymous. We will not disclose any personal information about a donor or perspective donor to anyone outside Books For Africa or any of its affiliated entities without the knowledge or consent of that donor or prospective donor except as follows:
- To an auditor in connection with an audit of Books For Africa;
- To a lawyer who is representing Books For Africa in a matter to which the personal information relates;
- To comply with a subpoena, warrant, or requirement under an order or rule of court;
- To a government institution that has made a request for the information, identifying its authority to do so, in connection with the administration of any law of the United States or Minnesota; or
- In any other circumstance where disclosure is specifically permitted under any applicable personal information protection legislation.
All Online Donations are Protected by CAPTCHA technology
All online donations made on the BFA website are protected by CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart) technology. CAPTCHA is a program that protects websites against bots by generating and grading tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot. This technology appears on the Donate pages when the donor is asked to type the letters seen in the security check box.
Discontinue Contact Upon Request Policy
It is the policy of Books For Africa to discontinue contacting any person upon that person’s oral or written request directed to the organization, its professional fundraiser, or other agent. Recipients of Books For Africa e-newsletters are given the option to unsubscribe at the top of each e-newsletter.
Effective Date of this Policy and Contact Information