Donate to a Project
This map highlights the African countries in which a group is fundraising for a book shipment. Scroll over the country that you would like to donate to. Details will show in the pop-up screen or below the map when clicked. Or click on a specific project in the list on the right.
To donate to a specific project by clicking the “Donate Now” button on the project page.
If you prefer to make your donation by check, you can send a check to our St. Paul office. Please indicate the project you would like to donate to in the memo line.
Checks should be mailed to:
The Eric James Harms Memorial Library (Kim Harms) - Rwanda
Project Goal: $17,000
Current Progress: $11,943 (70.00%)
Project Start: 09/01/2012Donate Now
In 2009 the Harms family lost their beloved son Eric. Eric, a freshman student at Columbia University in New York City was a kind, caring and compassionate student leader and a wonderful and loving brother and son. Eric's parents and sisters were devastated by his loss.
In 2011 Eric's mom, Kim, began to read books written by Rwandan Genocide survivors to help her understand how others were able to rebuild their lives after a devastating event. These books helped her to rebuild her own life and find joy again. Kim's dear friend Pam, a Books for Africa board member, suggested that they send a library to Rwanda in Eric's memory. Since books written by Rwandans had helped her to heal, bringing books to Rwandans seemed like a perfect fit.
The Eric Harms Libraries Project has created 13 libraries in Rwanda in partnership with Books For Africa. The Harms family has gained so much comfort from this project that now works to provide memorial libraries in Rwanda for others who have lost loved ones.
If you would like to donate the shipping costs for a memorial library (Books for Africa has the books) for someone you loved, please contact Rachel Brady at Rachel@booksforafrica.org. We will work with you to find just the right school, church or community and dedicate the library for you. You could also visit Rwanda yourself to dedicate the library, it is a beautiful country.
Project Contact: Kim Harms, email@example.com
Or Choose a Project:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- AASDO Mission –Library Development Project (Dr. Abebe Kebede) - Ethiopia
- Project Hadinet (Unity): Books for High Schools in Tigray (Daniel Woldu, Hermila Yifter, Rahwa Buzayene) - Ethiopia
- Agape Books: Delivering Hope - Ethiopia
- Fincha Elementary School Library Project (Emebet Fekadu and Nigussie Abate) - Ethiopia
- The African Promise (Azi Teklemariam) - Ethiopia
- Books for Rural Ethiopia (Kebede Gessesse, Dr. Abiy Mekoya, M.D.) - Ethiopia
- Books for the Remote Village of Wekin, Ethiopia (Wyn & Sunny Ray) - Ethiopia
- Partnership for Literacy – One Million Books for Oromia (Jote Taddese) - Ethiopia
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
Make no mistake, there are hundreds and thousands of people [in Africa], young and old, who aspire to an education so that they can become their own agents of change and lead themselves out of the trap of poverty that has kept them down for much too long.- His Excellency Welile Nhlapo, South African Ambassador to the U.S.